First aid for severe bleeding is a critical skill that can help save lives. Everyday we hear about violent actions, traffic accidents and natural disasters on the news. Any one of these could be the cause of the trauma required to create a severe external bleed. Each person involved in those news stories is someone's father, mother, brother, sister or child. Possessing the knowledge to help save a life by addressing a significant bleeding incident is invaluable, both to yourself and to others.
1. Ensure scene safety
2. Dial 911
3. Get PPE and first aid kit
4. Apply direct pressure and elevate
5. Dress and bandage if applicable
6. Use a tourniquet if applicable
7. Note the time of tourniquet application
8. Perform CPR if necessary
Stay in the know & keep your finger on the pulse!