Dog First Aid: Dealing with Common Household Toxins

Whether you're a dog owner or not, it's important to understand the common household toxins that can harm your beloved pet. This way, you'll be ready for any emergency that comes up and your dog will be safe from accidental poisoning.

Household Toxins

There are many toxins that can be found in the home, at work, and in the environment. Toxins can be swallowed, inhaled, or absorbed through the skin. They may be accidental or intentional. Some examples of household toxins include:

  • Food that has spoiled due to improper storage or handling (such as leftovers)
  • Medicine that has expired and is no longer safe for consumption by humans or pets (elderly people should keep track of when their prescription expires)
  • Cleaning products containing harsh chemicals such as bleach or ammonia


  • Know what substances are poisonous.
  • Know how to recognize the signs of poisoning.
  • Where can you get help? (Hospital or vet)
  • How do I treat my dog's poisoning?
  • What should I bring with me if I take my dog to the hospital or vet's office?
  • What is poison control and how do I reach them quickly when needed (phone numbers)?

Paralysis from Botox Injections

Botox is a toxin that can cause paralysis. It's used to treat muscle spasms, but it can also be injected into the wrong place or in too large an amount. If you get Botox injections, make sure that your doctor is experienced with this procedure and knows how much Botox to use for your condition. If you're going for cosmetic reasons, make sure that the doctor has experience doing these kinds of procedures as well as a good reputation among his/her peers--this will help ensure safety and quality control on the part of both practitioner and patient!

Paralysis from Food Allergies

  • Food allergies can cause paralysis.
  • Symptoms of food allergies include hives, swelling, difficulty breathing, and anaphylaxis (a life-threatening reaction).
  • If you suspect an allergic reaction to a certain food or substance, get medical help immediately.
  • Aspirin may also trigger an allergic response in some people that results in paralysis. If you have taken aspirin recently it is important to be aware of this possibility so that you can recognize the symptoms and seek treatment quickly if needed.
  • Botox injections are made from botulinum toxin which has been linked with several cases of temporary food poisoning causing paralysis as well as other serious side effects including blindness and death

Paralysis from Aspirin Toxicity

Aspirin should never be given to cats. Aspirin can cause ulcers in dogs and this can be very dangerous for your pet. If you have any questions about whether or not aspirin is safe for your cat, it's best to check with your vet before giving it any human medication.

Paralysis from Aspirin Toxicity:

  • Symptoms include difficulty breathing, increased heart rate, vomiting and diarrhea (often bloody), seizures, lethargy (weakness), and coma if left untreated; these symptoms may last anywhere from 3-6 days!
  • The amount of poison necessary depends on the age of your pet but generally speaking 1/2 tablet per 10lbs of body weight will cause severe distress within 30 minutes of ingestion which could lead to death after several hours or days depending on how much was consumed; however, since most cases involve multiple tablets being ingested at once then this number could be much higher depending on how many are ingested at once so always err on side safety when giving medications such as ibuprofen - Motrin etcetera

Paralysis from Melatonin Toxicity

Melatonin is a hormone that helps regulate the body's sleep cycle. It's available as a dietary supplement and is also used in some over-the-counter sleep aids. Melatonin can be toxic to dogs if they eat too much, but it affects all the major organs particularly the heart and lungs so symptoms of poisoning may not present themselves until days later. In a recent study, melatonin toxicity was found to cause brain damage and paralysis in dogs who were given large doses (10 times higher than what would be considered safe).

Poisoning by Chocolate

Chocolate is toxic to dogs. Chocolate contains caffeine, theobromine, and phenylethylamine. These chemicals can cause vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, and seizures in dogs. Chocolate is especially dangerous to dogs with heart problems because it increases their heart rate and blood pressure.

The darker the chocolate bar or cocoa powder you give your dog, the more dangerous it will be for him/her to eat (but still not as dangerous as baking chocolate). Theobromine levels are higher in dark chocolate than milk chocolate; however, there are many factors that affect toxicity levels so you should always err on the side of caution when giving your pet any type of sweet treat!

Baking chocolate contains much higher amounts of these three toxic substances than regular eating chocolates such as Hershey's Kisses or M&M's do; therefore we recommend not giving any type of baking product containing cocoa powder unless absolutely necessary due to some other medical condition being present with your pet at home such as diabetes mellitus type 1 where an insulin injection must be given daily along with proper nutrition advice regarding how much sugar can safely consumed without causing serious health problems like pancreatitis."

You should always be ready for emergencies

You should always be ready for emergencies. That means having a first aid kit in the house and knowing how to use it, as well as keeping the number of your local hospital on hand. It's also important that you know where the closest emergency vet hospital is located, just in case.

You should have CPR training so that if your dog needs resuscitation, you can perform chest compressions until medical help arrives (if there are no other people around who can do so). In addition, having contact information for your veterinarian is essential you may not have time or access during an emergency situation! Be sure that everyone who lives with you knows where their pet's medication is kept; this way they'll be able to administer first aid if necessary without wasting precious minutes looking around for medication bottles or syringes before administering them correctly

Back to blog