First Aid for Cats: What to Do If Your Cat Gets Poisoned

First Aid for Cats: What to Do If Your Cat Gets Poisoned

Cats are the most popular pets in the world, and they're also one of the most beloved. Cats are known for their independence, curiosity, and affection, which makes them a great pet to have around the house. However, there is one important thing that you need to know about cats: they love to eat! This means that if you have a cat in your house, there's always a chance that it will get poisoned by one of its favorite treats. So what should you do if this happens?

Some common household items that are poisonous to cats include

  • Antifreeze.
  • Batteries.
  • Cleaning supplies, such as bleach and detergents.
  • Cosmetics, such as lipstick and mascara (but not if your cat licks it).
  • Fertilizers or pesticides that have been left outside for long periods of time. These products can contain harmful chemicals called organophosphates that are toxic to cats' nervous systems and may cause seizures or death if ingested in large enough quantities over time. If you suspect that your cat has ingested one of these substances, contact a veterinarian immediately--even if there are no immediate signs of poisoning, because symptoms can take hours or days to develop!

If you have any of those items in your house, be sure to keep them out of reach of your pet.

  • Keep these products in a locked cabinet and away from children as well. If you're unsure about whether or not something is poisonous for cats and dogs. You can also call your vet for advice on what exactly might be harmful to your cat if ingested by one.
  • Many common household items can hurt our feline friends--even things that don't hurt us! For example certain medications (such as Tylenol), antifreeze, chocolate, and coffee grounds all pose serious risks for cats who eat them because these substances contain chemicals known as methylxanthines which are toxic to felines but not humans; therefore it's important never leave pills laying around where they could get into them either accidentally or intentionally by way of curious paws!

Be aware that most insecticides and cleaning supplies are also potentially toxic to pets.

  • Antifreeze is deadly for cats, as it causes kidney failure. Other common household items that are poisonous to cats include:
  • Chocolate (and other products containing caffeine) can cause vomiting and diarrhea in cats; dark chocolate is especially dangerous because it contains theobromine, which is more potent than caffeine.
  • Grapes and raisins contain high levels of oxalic acid, which can cause acute kidney failure in cats within two days of ingestion if not treated immediately by a veterinarian with IV fluids at an animal hospital or emergency clinic.

Cats have a sweet tooth, so they may eat chocolate! If you suspect your cat has eaten something poisonous, call your vet immediately so he or she can give you advice about whether or not it's safe for you to try administering first aid at home while waiting for professional help--and then go ahead and get him there quickly!

If you're concerned that your cat has ingested a potentially poisonous substance, take him to the vet right away.

Do not wait to see if the poison has any effect on your cat--some symptoms that your cat has been poisoned include vomiting and diarrhea; seizures; difficulty breathing; loss of coordination or balance.

If you have any doubts about whether something is harmful, contact us

You should also watch out for any sudden changes in behavior, and any unusual symptoms like vomiting, diarrhea, or seizures -- all of which may indicate that something has been ingested by your cat! If you suspect that your pet has ingested a poisonous substance and is exhibiting these signs.

You can help save your cat's life by knowing what not to leave laying around!

As a cat owner, it's important to know what not to leave lying around. Cats are curious animals and will often eat things they find in their environment that look interesting or tasty. This can be dangerous if you've left toxic substances within reach of your pet, so make sure to keep them out of the way whenever possible.


It's important to know what to do if your cat gets poisoned. If you can't get in touch with your vet or local emergency animal hospital immediately, you can follow some basic steps at home until help arrives.


Back to blog