First Aid for Dogs: How to Identify and Treat Shock


If you've ever seen your dog's eyes roll back in his head, or if you've noticed him panting heavily, it might be a sign that he's suffering from shock. This condition can arise from a number of causes. In this article, we'll explain what shock is and how to identify it in dogs. We'll also discuss the best first aid for dogs suffering from shock and how to prevent it in the future.

What is shock?

Shock is a serious condition that can lead to death. It is most often seen in dogs with severe injuries and occurs when there is not enough blood flow to the body's organs, which causes them to shut down. Shock can also be caused by trauma, burns, infections, and other conditions.

The most common symptom of shock is pale or gray gums; however other symptoms include rapid heart rate (tachycardia), weakness (lethargy), seizures, and collapse. If your dog has suffered major blood loss from internal bleeding into his abdomen or chest cavity then seek medical attention immediately as this will require surgery to repair damaged organs before they become irreparable if left untreated any longer than necessary!

If your dog appears weak but stable then place a clean cloth over the wound area as you may need some time before reaching veterinary services so try not to move him around too much until help arrives since moving could cause further damage from broken bones sticking out through muscle tissue etcetera... Wrap an elastic bandage around this area tightly enough so any bleeding stops but loose enough so air can still circulate around injured areas underneath the bandage material

How to identify shock in dogs

If you think your dog is in shock, take him or her to the vet immediately. If you can't get them there right away, try to keep them calm and comfortable until help arrives.

  • Signs of shock include weakness, pale gums, and tongue (and sometimes urine), rapid breathing and heartbeat, vomiting or diarrhea (sometimes bloody), confusion or disorientation, seizures, or loss of consciousness.

If any of these symptoms occur after an injury: 

  • Get medical attention immediately.
  • Try not to let your dog move around too much until help arrives.
  • Try not to give food or water until after treatment has begun.
  • Don't leave them alone if possible; having another person stay nearby helps keep their mind off the pain.
  • Letting them rest quietly will also help keep their mind off things--but make sure they don't get chilled while resting outside in cold weather conditions!

    How to treat shock in dogs

    Keep your dog warm. The best way to treat shock is by keeping your dog warm and calm, so make sure he has a blanket or towel available if he's feeling cold or anxious. If you're at home, place him in his bed with some blankets over him; if you're outdoors, try putting on an extra layer of clothing for both of you if possible (although this might not be feasible).

    Hydrate your dog regularly with water or Pedialyte as needed until his symptoms have subsided--but don't force-feed him anything else! If he refuses food despite being offered it repeatedly throughout the day (or vomits), contact a veterinarian immediately because this could indicate internal bleeding from injuries sustained during trauma such as car accidents or falls from heights greater than six feet above ground level

      If your dog has been injured

      Shock is a life-threatening condition caused by an injury or illness that affects the body's ability to maintain its normal blood pressure, heart rate, and respiration. Shock can be caused by blood loss, burns, and infections. It's important to know the symptoms of shock so you can treat it quickly.

      If your dog has been injured and shows any of these signs of shock: pale pink or white gums and tongue; weak pulse; cool extremities (ears or legs); unconsciousness; rapid breathing...the first step in treating shock is to stop any bleeding before moving on to other steps like placing them on their side if possible so they don't choke on their vomit if they start vomiting from being upside down for too long during transport back home (if possible). If there is internal bleeding then take them straightaway!


      If your dog is experiencing shock, it is important to get him or her to a vet as soon as possible. If the situation is serious enough that you are unsure if your dog can make the trip, call your vet immediately.  If your dog is not conscious, you can also use a teaspoon of sugar to help with the shock.


      Back to blog