First Aid for Poison Ingestion in Pets

Some household poisons are easy to recognize. If you find that your cat or dog has eaten a piece of chocolate or a meal with too much seasoning, the symptoms will be apparent immediately. But others are not so obvious: A poisonous substance called ethylene glycol can cause symptoms similar to those caused by other illnesses, making it hard to diagnose quickly. If you suspect your pet has ingested something that could be harmful, make sure they get immediate veterinary treatment!

When to use first aid

First aid is used to treat a pet that has ingested a toxic substance. If you suspect your pet has ingested a toxic substance, or if you are not sure what substance was ingested, first aid can be applied immediately. First aid kits are available at most pet stores and online. If you have one on hand, open it up and make sure everything inside is ready for use as is.

If your first aid kit does not contain everything needed for this situation (such as hydrogen peroxide), go ahead and gather additional items like protective goggles or glasses; clean gloves; bandages; hydrogen peroxide - whatever else might be helpful in treating your pet's poisoning symptoms.

How to prepare for an emergency if your cat or dog has ingested toxins or poison.

  • Have a first aid kit on hand at all times
  • Make sure to keep your pet's medication in a safe place where you or your children cannot reach it and accidentally ingest it themselves, or give it to your dog or cat by mistake.
  • Learn how to recognize the signs and symptoms of poisoning in cats and dogs so that if one of them ingests something harmful, you can treat him immediately without wasting time trying to figure out what he ate (or did not eat).

If you have a human first aid kit, you can use it as is to treat your pet.

If you have a human first aid kit, you can use it as is to treat your pet. The same instructions and techniques apply.

If you don't have a human first aid kit, keep one in a kit for your pet.

If you don't have a human first aid kit, keep one in a kit for your pet. Make sure it's easy to find and keep all of the following items:

  • Antiseptic wipes
  • Gauze pads
  • Nonstick sterile pads (for applying ointments)
  • Tweezers (to remove splinters)
  • Petroleum jelly or another lubricant (to keep bandages from sticking) 
  • You can make your own kit by visiting the first aid section at any drugstore and marking it "PET ONLY". This way, if you need it during an emergency situation, no one else will try using it on themselves before realizing that only pets can use this particular set of supplies!

Be ready for an emergency.

  • Keep a first aid kit for your pet
  • Keep a pet first aid book in your home
  • Know the signs of poisoning in cats and dogs
  • Know what to do if your dog or cat has ingested poison:
  • Call the vet immediately if you suspect that your pet has ingested poison
  • This is an emergency hotline staffed by veterinarians 24 hours per day, 7 days per week who can help guide you through treatment options based on the type of substance ingested by your pet; they'll also tell you if there are other steps that need immediate attention such as inducing vomiting or making arrangements for transport to an emergency veterinary hospital

Recognize the symptoms of poisoning in cats and dogs.

  • Recognize the symptoms of poisoning in cats and dogs.
  • Be aware of what you are looking for.
  • First aid kits should contain the following:
  • Hydrogen peroxide (3% solution)
  • Activated charcoal or baking soda to absorb toxins from the stomach if the animal cannot vomit naturally; keep these items out of reach of children or pets as they can be toxic if ingested by humans and/or animals!

Some common household poisons are easy to recognize, but others are not. Learn about them all.

  • Insecticides
  • Antifreeze
  • Rat poison
  • Mothballs
  • Xylitol

Antifreeze and rat poisons are common household poisons that can be easily mistaken for food by pets. Other common household poisons include chocolate, insecticides, and mothballs. If you suspect your pet has ingested any of these products, call your vet immediately!

Takeaway:

Poisoning is one of the most common emergencies in pets. It can be caused by accidental ingestion of pesticides, household products, or medications. It's important to know what to do if your dog or cat has ingested something toxic.

First aid for poison ingestion should include:

  • Taking a history of the type and amount of substance consumed (if possible). 
  •  Administering activated charcoal if recommended by your veterinarian or poison control center (this will help absorb toxins from the digestive tract). 
  • If you have any information about what was ingested, bring that with you when taking your pet to an animal hospital or emergency veterinary clinic.

Conclusion

The best way to protect your pet from poisoning is to keep harmful substances out of reach.


Back to blog