What is In a First Aid Kit?
First aid courses and first aid at work certificate online programs teach you how to use various first aid tools so that you can act calmly and with confidence during a first aid emergency. The contents of a first aid kit can vary between individuals as well as the location or environment. For example, an elementary school first aid kit would require more adhesive bandages than a personal first aid kit at home. First aid kits can also be customized to fit the specific needs of certain medical conditions such as glucose tablets for diabetics or allergy medications. There are some commonalities between first aid kits. The following items can be found in almost all first aid kits:
- Nonstick adhesive bandages in multiple sizes and shapes. Nonstick bandages are perfect for small cuts and scrapes and are easy to use.
- Adhesive tape and wrap bandages. These items together can help put pressure on a minor wound and protect it from getting dirty and infected.
- Tourniquet. Tourniquets are used to stop severe bleeding from extremities. Our first aid online courses teach you how to use a tourniquet correctly and also helps teach you when you need to use one. Using a tourniquet, when required, can help stop severe bleeding and save a life.
- Instant cold packs. These are beneficial if someone has injured a muscle or joint to reduce swelling.
- Antibiotic ointment. Antibiotic ointment can be used to prevent infection on open cuts or wounds.
- Disposable gloves. Gloves are a type of PPE, or personal protective equipment, which can help protect your hands from coming into contact with harmful matter such as body fluids or bacteria.
- Hydrogen peroxide. Hydrogen peroxide is a common disinfectant that can be used on cuts and scrapes to kill bacteria and prevent infection.
These are just a few of the many items that you can find in a first aid kit. MyCPR NOW online classes can be taken from any location you have internet access to and provide a wealth of knowledge and resources as well as certification options for individuals who need a first aid certification for work.